Sunday, January 22, 2006

Good Food, Good Hike, Great Life


corlieu falls Posted by Picasa


Today my wife and I decided to take a hike along the Lewis Creek Trail to see Corlieu Falls. It is funny how you can live somewhere and end up taking for granted all of the wonderful things there are to do. To be fair, there are some places that have more to offer than others. Of course that depends on what it is you want to do. We live and work in the woods of Mariposa and Madera counties, high in the Sierra Nevadas. All to often, during our busy workweek, we forgo enjoying the natural splendor that our locale has to offer, and we end up succumbing to Discovery Channel or TLC. Fortunately today was not one of those days.


We started out by enjoying a great meal at a local restaurant, Todd's Cookhouse BBQ. I had the pulled pork (always reccomended) and my wife had their hamburger (also good. yeah I stole a bite). For those of you from Bakersfield, CA, Todd's is something like Jake's TexMex. Look them up on Google. I haven't figured out how to insert a link yet. After a great meal we drove up the road to our destination.

One starting point for the Lewis Creek Trail can be found off of Highway 41, north of the turn for Bass Lake. From here we walked down, and down until we came to Corlieu Falls. Seriously cool. They're more of a long cascade than a long fall, but because they fall for so long, and since you can get so close, it really is exhillarating. After that we walked down, and down, and down, and down, and down, and down some more. We saw some really nice parts of the woods, but I think we forgot to take into consideration what it would be like to walk all that way back, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up. All said and done, it made for a wonderful afternoon with the person I love the most. If you feel in the mood to spend some quality time with a loved one, or your entire family, I would suggest that you visit Corlieu Falls.

Right now I have to go and rest my legs. I'll post some pictures as soon as I learn how.

Moss grows just about everywhere in shady spots like this.
moss growing on an oak Posted by Picasa


But beauty seen is never lost,

God's colors all are fast;

The glory of this sunset heaven

Into my soul has passed

-John Greenleaf Whittier, Sunset on the Bearcamp, 1876

No comments: