Monday, February 13, 2006

Learning to Live Lightly


Even though I haven't read the whole book (Death By Suburb), I have been reading it a little at a time at Barnes and Noble. I have to admit that I really love that they don't discourage you from reading the books there. Since reading what little I have, I have been feeling encouraged to follow Christ's words in Matthew 11 29-30:

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. NKJV


Death By Suburb focuses a part of the book on the need for Christians to recognize that the suburbs can instill in a person the tendency to create "needs" out of what are truly "wants". God tells us to forgo the urge to gather wealth unto ourselves out of selfish desire. The more we own, the more we become owned. Jesus instructs us in Luke 12: 32-34

32Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. NIV

Lately, I've been wanting a new truck. Honestly, there isn't anything wrong with the pickup I own right now. It's a regular cab Ford Ranger. Nothing fancy. At all. But, it drives well and gets good gas mileage. It has room enough to haul all my trash to the dump when I need to. It can even hold a month's worth of firewood. All said, I've still found myself trying to come up with a reason that I need a Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. But, when I read a passage that Dave Goetz wrote in his book, quoting Matthew 11 I found myself desiring instead to live the lighter life Jesus invites us to.

I want my heart to be where God has called it to be. And I have to admit that I want my treasures to be waiting for me in heaven. It isn't easy in America. We can all to easily mistake the heavy yoke for "the good life" and miss the rich life that God has for those that take on the light yoke. I want the yoke that God would have for me.

No comments: