Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Hard Day's Night


I couldn't agree more with the fab four. It has been a hard day's night, and I should be sleeping like a dog. The problem is that my dog has already slept, and now she wants me to come play with her. She doesn't have the greatest grasp of time.

I stumbled in the door last night/this morning at around 3am, after working for 19.5 hours. This, thanks to the storm that swept through the state yesterday, knocking out power for thousands of people across the PG&E service territory. I'm sure these outages affected a good number of you who live on the Left Coast.

Power outages are THE reason that I end up working long days. What are yours? I know I can't be the only one who has pulled an all-nighter in the name of money. My personal best for length of time at work sits at 31 hours. My personal best for length of time awake sits at 41 hours. Honestly, I don't know how I did that one. It started like a normal day, and then the boss said he needed some help in the next service territory for a quick fix. I went. We worked from 330pm to 2pm the next day. Those quick fix-it jobs often roll over into much larger jobs. Sometimes the longer you're at work, the longer you're going to be at work.

Enough about me. Share your longest day, or the longest stretch you were awake. We all do some crazy things, for funny reasons.

7 comments:

Richard Dahlstrom said...

I don't know about the 'for money' part, though I guess one could say that it was part of my job, but I remember doing a long pastoral weekend that included a middle of the night attempted suicide, followed by a long Sunday of events. When we lived in the mountains there were other wacky times. Does leading a 7 day hike count for a 24/7 work week? It felt like it. The tough thing about vocational ministry is I'm never certain the people I'm working with are finished with their power outages - some remain disconnected from the source forever. And yet I go home.

MountainPowerLineman said...

Most defenitely, service involving people's lives is more complicated. I suppose that's part of the reason that I enjoy the work I do. When repairs are done, they're done. There's no need to check back in with a power pole to see if it's still okay, after a couple of days.

mpwalker said...

15 hours, all smiles, on the outside of course. Being in the hospitality business can get hard when it starts eating at your soul. Sometimes, although I love the job, being smiley all the time can cause me to resent the people I smile at.

Anonymous said...

The first six weeks after having little A. felt like one long endless day (night??) with a few naps smushed in there somewhere to keep me from dying. Does this count? =)

MountainPowerLineman said...

You know it does!

Anonymous said...

Your birthday was a long day for me and your mommy! As I remember, we were (mostly) awake for 32 hours when you finally popped out!

MountainPowerLineman said...

but it was worth it, now wasn't it!