Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Zen, And The Art Of Home Moving

Soon (hopefully) we will be leaving our little house on the hill, and will be moving down to the valley. We're excited about the prospect of a new home, but the task of moving is quite daunting. Tonight we bought boxes. We didn't do anything with them. In fact, I haven't even taken them out of the truck.

I love everything about a new home, except the moving. I detest the packing, boxing, wrapping, loading, tagging, lifting, dusting, sneezing, cleaning, driving, un-loading, and the searching for the box that had your toothbrush in it. If someone told me that I could instantly move all my things into their respective places in the new house - without doing the things I detest - I would pay a ridiculous amount to make it happen. What can I say. I'm a little lazy.

However, if this was possible, then I would miss out on an excellent opportunity. Moving provides you with the best chance to pare down the things you don't need anymore. Perhaps, many of the things we think we'll need at our next house are really just things we want to have. I often wish that I could learn to live simply. I end up choosing to saddle myself with another responsibility. I yoke myself with yet another chore.

As I make my plans to re-enter Suburbia, I hope to find the peace that will allow me to avoid the traps and snares of the commercial hunter. The siren songs of Target, Best Buy, and Pottery Barn have drawn me off the hill for these past two years. I doubt they will lose any strength as I move closer to them. For now, I'll read my Bible and my copy of Death By Suburb.
I need to continue learning what it means to live lightly.

No comments: