Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Northeast is the NEW Northwest (you might only get this if you're from Bakersfield)


I think that we are pretty well committed to the move. Today we went looking at new home possibilities. There were some nice homes, some beautiful homes, and some homes that could have been so much better.

We're looking at homes in the north-eastern part of Bakersfield. It's a compromise of sorts. I couldn't really stand the thought of moving to the flatlands of the northwest or southwest Bakersfield. It's hard enough to move out of the green of the pines and oaks. The nice thing about the northeast side of Bakersfield is that it is set against the foothills of Breckenridge Mountain.
The Kern River and Hart Park are just a 5 minute drive away. Really, the reason I love that side of town is that I grew up out there. It was a great place to ride my bike and build forts. The great thing about the northeast, is that there is still nature to be found. Homes are on the edge of development.

Some of the houses we looked at today were really neat. Several had a courtyard in the center of the house. I love the look that a courtyard can lend. In the winter, you could light a fire in a chiminea and sit around with good company, enjoying the sky. In the summer, a courtyard can be a shady and inviting retreat from the summer sun. That said - I won't know if my favorite house will be within reach until I sell my house in Mariposa.

We looked at some other houses in the neighborhood. They simply lacked appeal. They featured solar power integration - which I know many people are very excited about. I have nothing against solar power. I know - I work for the power company, so my opinions are somewhat tainted by the promise of employee discounted electricity. The homes seemed to be designed to maximize the use of the solar energy - low wattage bulbs, some skylight tubes, etc. The problem was that the houses were incredibly dark inside. Who want to come home to a dreary and poorly lit house? I don't. It was a real letdown; considering that the outside of all the homes were very attractive, and the prices were excellent.

Well. Just pray for us and our home selling. We've got a baby on the way. I'm reporting to Bakersfield for work on Wednesday. Our home has been on the market for three weeks without a single showing. I'm nervous to some degree. I'm also trusting God for his timing. He can turn the ominous into the minimal.

Bakersfield's City in the Hills or bust.

No comments: