Saturday, December 16, 2006

That Old Man Winter, He Just Keeps Blowing


Old Man Winter has paid us a visit. We're visiting our mountain home, for what may be the last time in our pre-natal lives. We had been looking forward to one last bit of mountain living before the baby, which we got. Snow was just frosting on the cake. We did take a bit of a chance this evening. Dinner at Tenaya Lodge sounded too good to pass up. Tenaya Lodge is a little above 5000 feet in elevation, in the village of Fish Camp, California. It was more or less a repeat of a similar trip my wife and I took about a year ago. I was mostly excited that I would be able to use the 4wd on my truck for the first time in the snow. Here in NorCal, Old Man Winter has been fairly gentle.

For others across the country, the winter weather has had greater impact. Keep the citizens and lineworkers of the Great Northwest in your prayers, as they are still reeling from the tremendous weather that pounded the region this past week. The Seattle Times reports that as many as 500,000 remain without power currently, and will remain without power throughout the weekend. I trust that the many electrical workers of the region are working day and night to restore light and heat to thousands of customers across Oregon and Washington states.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow, I had the feeling that without a baby on the way, I might have found you on our front porch as you whisked your way in to save the day for a few thousand customers facing the peril of more days without heat. We fared just fine and our neighbors were both spared as a HUGE cypress tree threaded it's way between their houses, avoiding their bedrooms by about 1 foot on either side.

MountainPowerLineman said...

I was very concerned about you all in the Great Northwest. I think there are a few PG&E fellows working up north, but I haven't heard that anyone was sent from this far south. I hope that everyone is doing well. How is the church building coming along?

Right now, I'm a little concerned about my house up in Mariposa. I heard that the Mono Winds were sweeping through the area.