Saturday, January 14, 2006

Snow Falling on Cedars, and Making Them Rip Down Powerlines

As I write this morning I can hear the storm growing in intensity. Today we are supposed to get hit by a cold fast storm. Tonight the snow level is predicted to drop to about 3500 feet. That would put the snow right about my house. I get a feeling of anticipation when a storm arrives, because my occupation is heavily influenced by the damage that falling trees, heavy winds, and snow can bring to powerlines. At the same moment I am eager to work and restore power to customers that have lost it, and I also wish that I could just stay home and enjoy watching a blustery day from the comfort of my fireside.


So, I desire to be both home by the fire, and out in the weather. George Herbert did get it right when he said,

"Every mile is two in winter."
George Herbert, Jacula PrudentumEnglish clergyman & metaphysical poet (1593 - 1633)

Somehow, an easy walk in the woods of Summer becomes an epic adventure when the snow of Winter blankets the ground. Suddenly the familiar views become fantastical with blankets and mounds of white crystaline cover. In the summer, a walk from the south gate of Yosemite following the powerline trail through groves of gigantic Sugar Pines to the villiage of Fish Camp, CA would take about an hour. In winter, this same trail requires snowshoes, and a will to drive on.

I suppose that part of the difficulty in naviagting these winter, woodland escapades comes from the knowledge that a refreshing jaunt through the pines is not the purpose for being there. The powerline that climbs from Oakhurst to Wawona is not a line to be compared to. For a good portion of a few miles, the powerlines are suspended entirely from trees. That's right, there are no easy power poles to climb. This is not the job for the faint of heart. Often, winter repairs require myself and my coworkers to climb trees that are larger around than four or five people holding hands. I suppose that desiring to climb a tree of this size requires a good deal of will, a little bit of insanity, and a lot of endurance.

When I look at this powerline I wonder what thoughts went through the old timers that built the line back in the 1930s and 40s. I can guess at some of it because it so happens that my superviser's grandfather was on the crew that built the line. He even has a picture of the line crew standing in front of the historic Wawona Hotel with a byline declaring their feat. I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine the tag reading something like, "Power Comes to Wawona!" I suppose that isn't very imaginative, but that can't be helped. I guess I watched too much television as a child.

I suppose I'll wrap this up. I should chop some wood for my wife to keep the fire burning, should I be called in to go work the treacherous Wawona powerline.


I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.
Jane AustenEnglish novelist (1775 - 1817)

No comments: