Sunday, June 11, 2006

Who's down with G - O - D?

This weekend I rented a movie I've been meaning to see for quite a while. The movie is SAVED! I admit that the trailer and the poster for the movie are what caught my eye. I tend to feel a bit of frustration with Christians who live their lives speaking in "Christianese". I was not surprised to find that the movie used a great deal of the cliched phrases that Christians are so fond of. Of course it was portrayed in such a manner that it seemed somewhat ridiculous.
I don't really have a problem with the non-Christian world making fun of Christians. I expect as much.

You know what I have a problem with? Christians that make Christianity seem foolish. Now, I don't doubt that many Christians would watch this movie and say that it is a disgrace. They would shake their heads, say something about Hollywood's lack of morals, and not think about what they had seen.

I think that Christians should watch a movie like this and see why the world rejects God's plan. I think that to some degree it is that they don't want to have to endure the company of bully Christians. We're told that they will know that we are Christians by our love. Maybe they aren't convinced that we are Christians because they don't see the love, but rather a willingness to condemn a sinner.

I would encourage anyone to see this movie. See it, and stop and think about it. Are you a cliche? Are you trying to be a judge? Ask God to search your heart.

One of the scenes that sticks in my memory the most is between Mary (who has become pregnant) and Hilary Faye (the very popular, and very dogmatic leader of the 'Christian Jewels')

Hilary Faye: Mary, turn away from Satan. Jesus, he loves you.
Mary: You don't know the first thing about love.
Hilary Faye: [throws a Bible at Mary] I am FILLED with Christ's love! You are just jealous of my success in the Lord.
Mary: [Mary holds up the Bible] This is not a weapon! You idiot.

No comments: