Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Some Leave and Never Come Back

I've been thinking about my upcoming high school reunion. Sometimes I'm excited, and sometimes I have feelings of trepidation. I'm excited about getting to reunite with lost friends that have scattered to the four winds. I was a poor friend in many respects, and didn't keep up with those that I should have. Now it has been 10 years, and I've been wondering for quite some time what has been going on in their lives. On the other hand, I'm a little sad when I think about the reality that some may not be able to make it to the reunion because life has taken a turn for the worse. I know that some have passed away already, I just don't know who.

At work this week we have been attending a great many meetings. In fact, tomorrow I will be attending yet another meeting to learn about the future course of the company. The last couple of meetings were more for training purposes. I think they called them Skills Maintenance Training. We learn about new tools and techniques that can be used in the field. The best part about these meetings is that the trainers have been traveling all over the state, and have consequently heard a great many stories from coworkers. Sometimes they have a new anecdote that they picked up in another service yard, and they always share the good parts. Humorous gaffes, and serious safety incedents are all common topics of discussion.

It's hard to hear the sad things. I found out that a former supervisor of mine lost his wife to illness. He had only recently retired to spend more time with his wife and grandkids, and within the year she was gone. She woke up one morning not feeling well. It wasn't long after that. It's hard to hear these things. One minute we're laughing about a mishap at work, and the next your heart drops to hear that a coworker has experienced such pain.

This week I was talking to an acquaintence at work. We were asking each other about our families, and about how life was going. I was stunned to find out that my coworker's young son was dealing with a brain tumor. He is only seven years old. At the moment, the outlook is hopeful. I didn't know what to tell him. I wish that I had told him that I would pray for his family. I have been. Before I knew it, the conversation had been interrupted by our arrival at the worksite. If you would, please pray for Wade's son. He's already been through chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

It's been a mix of emotions every day. I suppose that's just the way that life is. Working to hold on to Joy amidst pain and everyday trials. God is good. Michael W Smith is right. Friends are friends forever if...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those who left my high school home town, and never came back to any of the reunions. My 30 year reunion is this summer & I found it a bit unsettling to write in a small square what I'd been up to for the past 3 decades. Reduced down, it didn't sound like much. But in reality, the seasons and swings of life are quite full, rewarding, challenging and mysterious all at the same time. There's not much you can say to the hurting father or grieving husband. Just letting them talk about their loved ones and compassionately saying "I'm so sorry" counts for a lot. You know from your own time of grief the things that helped and the things that didn't. Listen to your heart and then act upon it. Check in with them from time to time. It helps for them to know that others are thinking about their loved ones as much as they are. I'm looking forward to the news of my new great nephew or great niece. I thought "Pirates" was great fun and a wonderful way to spend a few hours in the heat of the day (granted our highs are probably your lows but we are weather wimps in the northwest!)

MountainPowerLineman said...

Hopefully the reunion will be more fun than not. We're going to go with my best friend and his wife. At least we'll have some real good friends to hang out with. It is weird to try and distill the life experience of a decade down to a few questions.

Hopefully the heat passes soon. We're all croaking out here.