Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oliver Fire - Outlook Promising

I tried to post the raw data from the Daily Situation Report, but I can't get the tables to fit. So if you follow the link here, and go about halfway down. They're labeled Oliver and Silver respectively.

According to Cal Fire Reports located here, the Oliver Fire has crawled into Devil's Gulch. The area is considered inaccessible, and is proving problematic. Even so, Cal Fire is estimating that the fire will be contained by the 5th of July. As of 7pm, this evening, the fire has burned 2,306 acres, and stands at 40% containment. Considering how dry the area is after a less than average Spring rainfall, this seems pretty good.

Fresno's ABC30 news has some interviews with Ponderosa Basin residents. I'm glad to read that they're upbeat.


I'm sorry for being a little erratic with my posting. My wife, daughter, and I have all been getting over a stomach bug. Fevers and upset stomachs are never fun, especially in the Summer. Thankfully, we're all feeling much better. I even worked some overtime today. Out of the smoke.

Let me just say that if you can afford the gas money, you should head up past Shaver Lake to the Dinkey Creek and Wishon Reservoir. Beautiful blue skies and cool air were just the remedy I needed. Just remember, when you're thinking of places to go. Not all the mountains in California are on fire right now.

2 comments:

Trafficman said...

Wishon is one of our favorite camping areas. Wish I was camping there now.

Anonymous said...

The one thing I noticed is the cost of the fires thus far. Just those two fires combined is $8 million plus. It's not that crazy of a number when you break all the costs down, but just the idea that we're spending millions of dollars on these fires is something of a reality check for me.

It's good to hear there are some places here in California that aren't on fire. Down here in the southern valley there aren't any flames to be seen, but we're definitely feeling the effects of all that dang smoke.