Tuesday, October 31, 2006

To Clarify


I should clarify, that although I never felt myself to be a local, I did find many of those I met to be wonderful people. It is a reality that the mountain communities draw in the people that do not wish to be in large communities anymore. Hence, people are less outgoing.

It's probably a good thing that I'll be heading back to the 'burbs. I think that my tendencies to hole up like a hermit were growing stronger.

There are many things that I will miss. I will miss working with many of the people that work in the Oakhurst Service Center of my utility company. I will miss the ever present green of the mountains. I will miss the ability to spend a lazy afternoon exploring Yosemite, on a whim.

I will always return to Yosemite and Oakhurst. There are too many things left to see and do. It's such a part of me, that I can't abandon it. Here's something that I've always meant to do, but never have - take a ride on the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad. Take a listen here.

In the end, it's worth it. You can't really replace family. That's the real payoff of Bakersfield.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that there are some things I will miss too: having a fire whenever we want to, the way the house stays cool in the summer, the quietly falling snow.