Sunday, December 31, 2006

Unashamed


There will always be those whose daily goal is to shirk and shrug off as much of their work as they can get away with. I think it's an unfortunate side effect of being human. When I catch myself slipping towards sluggishness, I am reminded of a Bible verse that was tattooed on my brain.

2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version)

15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Being a workman, I can understand what Paul meant when he wrote this to Timothy. As an Apprentice Lineman, my work was often under deep scrutiny. A Journey level Lineman will go over all aspects of an Apprentice's work to gauge the level of workmanship that the Apprentice has attained. Lineman are notoriously savage in their assessment - with good reason. A small mistake made in the field can kill instantly.

When a workman has achieved excellence in his trade, he knows that he can stand behind his work for all to see. An approved workman knows that his work will withstand inspection. He has no need for excuses.

Paul's letter to Timothy reminds me that I am called to live a life above reproach. If I am known as a Christian in my place of work, should I not also strive to be found approved of my employer? Too often, we Christians focus on making sure that we are easily recognized as such in the workplace. We fret over the last time we laughed at a dirty joke or used a curse word. Certainly, these are things that we should want to remove from our behavior. How often do we strive to be the best at our paid labor? How much more would it glorify Christ if our work ethic reflected that shown in 2 Timothy?

Philippians 3:13-15 (New King James Version)

13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.

No comments: