Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What I did before Christmas Vacation


Work Work Work.

It isn't that bad. I like my crew (me, myself and I) and I like the freedom that comes with it. I can pace myself and make every day a great day.

I am a Compliance Inspector. Basically, I look at all of the powerlines, poles, padmount transformers, sub-surface transformers, towers, and streetlights that the company owns in the Bakersfield, Taft and Wasco areas. To remain in compliance with State laws, the company pays linemen, such as myself, to inspect the facilities in a timely manner. It is my job to walk or drive to every location, and inspect the soundness of the equipment at hand. While I am there I fix anything that one man can do in a safe and timely manner. I walk to every pole in a backyard (except the ones with Pit Bulls and German Shepherds and no owners) and check to make sure that it hasn't become rotten or infested with termites. If there are broken or missing items on the pole, I climb on up to make repairs.

Something that I hadn't thought about before I started, is the increased opportunity to collect old glass insulators that have interesting colors or designs. I love collecting old things. My job gives me more opportunity to carry home old things than my wife cares for. At least I'm not as bad as this guy.

While some Linemen in the system may look down on the Inspector position, they may be missing out on some of the best work in the field. You can still do linework, and at your own rate. Best of all - you get payed at the same rate as regular construction crew Linemen.

The most attractive part of this job is the fact that I am only expected to work from 7am to 330pm, Monday through Friday. Anything beyond these hours is generally voluntary. I am hoping to return to school to pursue a degree in Business Management. Most importantly, I'll be able to spend time with my baby.

That's what I've been up to. What have you been doing lately?

No comments: