Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Parable of the Lost Wallet


Wonderful news to update. I left my wallet out in a public place today, and when I came back to get it, it was gone. Although there is the off chance that my wallet will be returned to me; in this day and age one cannot wait and chance it. I got to spend the afternoon calling credit bureaus, banks, credit unions, and the DMV. Hopefully, I won't suffer any damage to my credit score. I think I've done all I can when your Social Security card is stolen.

Up to that point, the day had been pretty nice. At least as nice as a December day in Bakersfield can be.

Here's a completely unrelated bit of throwback 1980s wisdom. UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A SELECT START

Who couldn't use 30 lives?

Buy the shirt here.



BREAKING NEWS STORY **************************************

What once was lost, now is found.

A really nice guy named Pete saw a wallet sitting on the sidewalk, and thought that it would be a bad thing for that wallet to be picked up by someone that wasn't a nice guy. He brought it home and looked at it with his wife. The wallet told a very detailed story about its owner. Pictures, licenses, credit cards, passes to national parks, and the like. All possible sources of damaging information - all kept safe and sound by a very nice guy named Pete.

Thanks to a business card with the name of my realtor, I was put in touch with a very nice guy named Pete.

Thanks Pete. The world is a better place with people like you in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you got it back! When I told Si about your misfortune, he said, "Maybe a nice person found it." And I was cyncial in response and told him there aren't many nice people anymore. I'm glad your day proved me wrong!

MountainPowerLineman said...

As am I. I was also guilty of extreme cynicism, and thought that my wallet was in the hands of a local meth lab proprietor. I was, thankfully, proved wrong.