Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Beginning of the World, Fish, Newborns, and Romania

I was reading an article somewhere (I can't remember. I read too much without paying attention) on the Internet that reminded me of my report from Art History class. I chose to report on Constantin Brancusi, a Romanian artist of the 20th century. I can remember going to Romania, and seeing what I thought to be strange sculptures. There were miniatures in all of the stores, as well as images of them on the currency. I now wish that I'd had the ability to recognize such art. I would have brought home some copies, or visited the large sculptures in the parks of Bucharest.

Brancusi's art is minimalist and modern in form. He reduced feelings and forms down to their basest element. You can look at a good collection of them at the Modern Museum of Art (MoMA). Here are a few of my favorites.

The Newborn 1915 Marble 8.5 x 6"

I have seen this look on Lauren's face many times.







Fish
. Paris 1930. Blue-gray marble 21 x 71 x 5 1/2" (53.3 x 180.3 x 14 cm), on three-part pedestal of one marble 5 1/8" (13 cm) high, and two limestone cylinders 13" (33 cm) high and 11" (27.9 cm) high x 32 1/8" (81.5 cm) diameter at widest point.








Bird in Space. 1928. Bronze, 54 x 8 1/2 x 6 1/2" (137.2 x 21.6 x 16.5 cm)

No comments: