Thursday, February 01, 2007

Eagles, California Condors, and Ospreys

My current position leads me to some interesting places around the Kern service area. I was tasked this week, to patrol some of our lines that have had issues with the local wildlife - namely, killing them. My first stop was a place called the Kern Water Bank. Basically, there are a few thousand acres on the west side of the valley that they flood with water. The water seeps down to the water table, and PRESTO , we have water for the future. In the meantime there are huge ponds of water. Lots of water brings lots of birds. Lots of birds run into the powerlines. Now it is my job to figure out ways to reconfigure the setup on the pole so as to discourage the birds from electrocuting themselves. It's fun.

Today I spent the day at the Bitter Creek National Wildlife Refuge, in-between Maricopa and Cuyama, California. This NWR is home to the California Condor - last of its kind. It was a beautiful day. The sun was out and the sky was blue. It made me a little homesick for Oakhurst.

One of the nice things about working in areas that have raptor protection issues is that they have a lot of raptors to look at. I saw a lot of Eagles and Hawks today. I even saw an Osprey.


OK. So it wasn't a Pandion haliaetus, but rather a V-22. At any rate, it was really cool to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am starting to think you may have one of the best jobs around, Nick. The thought of working at a desk while you're out seeing the countryside makes me very envious of you. Perhaps I'll get a degree in accounting and then switch it up by starting a career in the fields.